Friday, April 28, 2006

MOON CHILD photobook Gackt/HYDE interview: Part 1

Used with permission

Gekka-no-neko made a very readable translation of the Gackt/HYDE Moon Child interview. It's in three parts. Here’s the first bit of Part One:

MOON CHILD Interview: Part 1

Interviewer: Q
Gackt: G
HYDE: H

Q: When did you first come up with the concept for MOON CHILD?
G: Last year......around September. I started with a vague image of the whole story, which was put into sound on the album MOON. Because of that, I was able to reimagine it as images. Then, I talked with HYDE about the movie around last April.
Q: So it started to take shape soon after you thought of the concept.

G: Yeah. Before talking to HYDE, I had discussed with most of the staff, "Let's do it this way, let's make it like this." From the beginning, I wanted to perform in the movie itself......Kei's role. I did include others when thinking about who would be good in the role, but when it came to the story and the need to have a strong on-screen presence, it became apparent that HYDE might be good. But, the film studio people said "HYDE has received many requests to do movies, but he's brushed them all off." That has nothing to do with it--is what I thought (laughs).
Q: Was it because you didn't want to do films up until then, or was it more that nothing really appealed to you?

H: Yeah, nothing really appealed to me, but also, I didn't know of any good examples among musicians who have appeared in movies. Musicians who act are often looked at coldly, and I couldn't imagine putting myself in that position. And......because I didn't have the confidence to get past those hurdles, I thought, "I can't possibly appear in a movie."

Read the rest of Part One here.

No comments: