Saturday, June 03, 2006

Hydeist entry 2006/05/25(Thurs)

Thanks to Insomnia for translating five recent Hydeist messages (scroll down to No.15133).

Appears that Hyde…

Believes Sake drinking is more important than TV watching

Reads Yahoo News

Loves the manga, Death Note

Agrees with capital punishment (I can just see the debates this will cause on fan forums across the Net!). He writes:

There is the opinion that capital punishment is severe. But is anyone actually convinced that life imprisonment or some kind of reform (correction) is good enough? I’m not!
Is, or at least was, tired (hopefully, he got that good night sleep he mentioned)

And, my favorite, interacts with his fans on Hydeist and works through a little misunderstanding (some fans were concerned about the Hydeist lamp light being left on, thinking that he wasn't actually online anymore). He writes:

Hey, I want to read the responses to my posts and check a lot of other things, too, you know.

I understand how you feel but could you please stop telling me to turn it off? I’m going to leave.

Should I only keep it on when I’m interacting with you?

Hey.

(Next message) Okay, I got it.

While it’s shining (the lamp light) I’m still here, so please don’t worry.

Bye.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks for posting this. I found his messages interesting. I think some of his Hydeists need to just chill out.The poor man is just doing his thing online, he doesn't need fans barking at him about not chatting with them every second he's online...jeez!!! Too bad Hydeist is not open to US & beyond residents. We'd give him a whole different perspective on things. And you were so right about the whole death penalty issue causing controversy. The comments are already starting on that board. Hey, the man is entitled to his opinion, and people who are truly his fans should respect it. Maybe it's the age difference between most of his fans and himself, but since I am his age, I tend to see a lot of subjects he touches on the same way he does. Maybe it's just life's experiences that bring you to a certain thinking process at different times of your life. I don't know about anyone else here, but I find myself always intrigued and fascinated with what he has to say. I find Hyde such an interesting person inside & out.

musingwoman said...

Agree with you, Patty. And about the death penalty issue, Hyde sounds just like a dad to me. Did you read the news article about the 7-yr-old girl’s murder that he was referring to? So horrible.

I’m, personally, not a proponent of capital punishment in most cases, but I can certainly understand the outrage people feel toward such a terrible crime.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you, Musing. He is a dad of a small child, and I can definately see that being his gut reaction. I read the article & it was really disturbing, as I too have two little girls and I can't even imagine. I'm not a very political person, but I try to see both sides of an issue, and I see both sides on this particular one. But I would never have a problem with anyone regardless of which way they sided. I'm very respectful of people's feelings for sensitive issues, as I am for Hyde's feelings on this one. (as I'm sure most of us are)

Anonymous said...

I believe I read somewhere that he sympathized (or could see his pov) with Light from Death Note, so I am not the least bit surprised that he agrees with capital punishment.

A lot of people say they're against capital punishment, and that's easy to say, but are you really?

I think Light and Hyde have some similar views.

musingwoman said...

If I ever get the time to read, I'll have to check out Death Note.

I used to be very pro capital punishment until I read Helen Prejean's book, Dead Man Walking. That made me start to question my strong stance.

Then hearing about those who’ve been wrongly convicted and put to death (now that we have DNA testing) really troubled me.

I've also been influenced by Gandhi's beliefs and other pacifists like Jack Nelson-Pallmeyer.

Still, if murder could be proved beyond doubt (not circumstantial evidence), I don't think a killer has a “right” to life. That was forfeited by taking the life of another (it's the "do unto others" principle--if someone wants the right to life then he or she must grant that right to others). Just my opinion, though.

Wow. Hyde has started some interesting discussions!

musingwoman said...

Wanted to add--though I believe a murderer has forfeited the right to life, a society can choose to show mercy. We don't have to practice an "eye for an eye."

Ah, which reminds me of The Merchant of Venice:

"Though justice be thy plea, consider this, that, in the course of justice, none of us should see salvation: we do pray for mercy; and that same prayer doth teach us all to render the deeds of mercy."