Sunday, June 04, 2006

Daily Yomiuri article

Hyde's Spiritual Lyrics

Hiroshi Ono / Yomiuri Shimbun Staff Writer
Daily Yomiuri Online

Faith is the title of the latest solo release by Hyde, vocalist of popular rock band L'Arc-en-Ciel. Hyde started his parallel activity as a solo artist with a debut release five years ago and, with hits like "Hello," he amply demonstrated his standing as a solo artist in his own right.

Three years since his last work, 666, the new album is imbued with a heavy, low and at times powerful sound symbolized by the single "Countdown." On previous albums, guitarist Kaz has participated in all aspects of production and this time Kaz has also had a hand in writing the music for the new work…read the rest of the article here.

(Thanks to bailey59 on the ARK for the info)


EDITED: Come to find out the article is a translation, which explains some of the awkward wording

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The meaning of a being a solo act is to exercise more freedom. As you'd expect, if there are four of you, it doesn't matter how good I might be. If the other three aren't any good, the whole thing will be no good. Even with four unruly members, it's still a democracy," he says with a laugh.

This is the second interview I have read where Hyde seems to have a smidge of negativity towards L'Arc. I truly hope this present solo experience does not cause him to leave L'Arc. That would be a shame. As much as I love Hyde & his solo work, there is no denying the magic he makes with Tetsu, Ken, & Yuki. I hope they still reunite later this year & resume L'Arc en Ciel as planned.

musingwoman said...

I hope they reunite, too!

That comment does sound a bit negative, but maybe he was just making a point (and trying to be funny). I've read other comments where he highly praised his L'Arc bandmates and said he was in awe of their musicianship.

Anonymous said...

It depends on the translation a lot. From what I've read (original material), his comments are not negative towards L'arc, and especially not towards his bandmates.

Anonymous said...

Nepenthes,
I agree totally. I too find sometimes his words get a little jumbled on a translation. I think he's just stretching his creative muscles right now & enjoying it. When he writes with L'Arc, his creativity is a bit more limited. I'm sure he has nothing but the utmost respect & fondness for his bandmates especially since it's 15 years now. I am a huge L'Arc fan & the idea of a break up would really blow, but I can't help but think about it once in a while. God, I hope I'm way off the mark here & that L'Arc reunites & produces another awesome album!