Saturday, May 20, 2006

“So perfect, this moment"

Ikuni and I were coming home from her drama class. As I pulled in the driveway I saw something brown on the porch, pointed and said, “Box!” Hardly waiting for the car to stop, Ikuni climbed out, tore up the front walk and snatched it greedily. A huge grin told me that FAITH had arrived from CD Japan!

Within ten minutes my copy was burned and we were both listening to the album in our respective rooms (we have this thing about hearing new music for the first time alone).

During the next few weeks I’ll talk about each song individually but, for now, I’ll give my overall impression--AMAZING. The music is great and the lyrics poetic and thoughtful, but Hyde’s vocals...in the opening track when he sings, “They call me crazy but it won’t matter,” I got chills, the soaring chorus of Season’s Call brought tears to my eyes (even though I’d already heard the single many times), and his falsetto in Perfect Moment is just that--perfect.

I was reminded again that it’s the sound of Hyde’s voice that moves me most. The emotion, the range, the vulnerability. He is a unique talent, and I’m so glad to have discovered him and his music.

And to think I didn’t know he existed a year ago. His voice has been such a constant in my life, it seems I’ve been listening for a decade.


No walls - embrace a world as one
Where music will guide us, guitars instead of guns
We'll play in harmony, it should be so easy
Come and dance with me

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice....

:-)

Unknown said...

Agreed, even though Faith isn't my favorite album of all time, It's still his voice that is... well, mesmerizing. Yes, less than a year, for me as well, and I feel like Hyde and L'Arc are a part of my life.