Sunday, May 07, 2006

A Review of Grand Cross Conclusion

Well, commentary, since what's to review--it's AMAZING.

I've promised this to Musing for awhile, but I didn't think it was fair to write about it until I could post some pics too. So I had to make myself watch it again very carefully, going over some parts again and again to grab the shot--oh, it was torture. That's how much I love you! HA HA! I'm sorry I don't have software to put the best songs up on You Tube, but I will work on that.

Grand Cross Conclusion--August 22, 1999 (plus clips from other dates)

First let me say, this and Awake are my two favorite concerts ever. The energy is wonderful and unlike Awake which has some serious themes which makes it a thoughtful concert, this one is mainly pure fun. The band is so happy, Hyde-san in particular. He's on top of the world and he knows it. This concert supported Ark and Ray which they released simultaneously (for anyone who doesn't know) and the two albums sat at the 1 and 2 positions on their charts. I think (and I may be wrong, so feel free to let me know) that they had four singles in the top ten between the two albums at one point. I've read that the big set on the stage cost 1 billion yen and that they played to 250,000 people. I don't know if that was per night, or all together, but I think this is the biggest crowd I've ever seen at a concert--the field seems to go on for 4 city blocks.

They open with "Trick" which you can see here and yes, they pop OUT OF THE STAGE. I admit to mixed feelings about "Trick". Some days I love it, some days I skip it, but it is a song designed to bring people to their feet (as if anyone was still sitting down). IN CAPA CITY! I want a T-shirt that says "I live IN CAPA CITY" and see who gets it. Whatever else one loves about Hyde, he is and has always been a master showman, from Claustrophobia on. The Japanese audience is screaming TRICK in perfect rhythm. Did I mention Hyde-san is HOT in this show and it's not even one of my favorite looks for him? He plays to the camera A LOT (see the picture from later in the show) He and Ken apparently coordinated outfits--sequined snakeskin. Tetsu is his fabulous neon self, even down to his hair and 5 inch platforms and Yukihiro is dressed as always for comfort and freedom of movement. Besides the metal space orb, there are giant statues of busty girls (I suspect a Ken contribution, but I could be wrong). Since the concert starts while the sun is still setting, Hyde's in sunglasses but you should hear the crowd scream when he takes them off! I screamed and I was home (ha ha).

"Trick" is followed by "Honey" and "Shi no Hai". There is much tongue action through the whole show but especially in this last song. He knows that his own smexiness is part of the reason the crowd is there, and for tonight, this night, he's proud of it. He grabs a tambourine for "It's the End" and runs from one end of the stage to the other, hoping and spinning. He never loses his breath. Then it's "Sell My Soul"--I always see you in my dreams! The stage is bathed in red light for "Ibara no Namida". It's during "Fate" that he gives up having his shirt buttoned at all. That gets a scream from the crowd as well. He crumples to the floor and keeps singing just like in the early concerts. Despite the seriousness of "Niji" he can't help but smirk a little when the crowd goes wild. On the Nani Mos's he's throttling the stand so hard you think he's going to break it or himself. He ends slumped over his mike stand (see picture).

They all take it to 11 on "Snowdrop" where he runs out to the sides for the crowd. There's some great editing of clips from other shows (I've put a bunch of those in the big picture at the bottom). My favorites are the hands on hips in the hot red shirt--very Bowie, Peter Murphy, Richard Butler (works for me) or maybe even Mick Jagger, Steven Tyler. I haven't talked much about the rest of the band (since this is a Hyde site), but they are playing the audience for all they are worth. Tetsu dances and flirts for the camera. Ken is loving every minute as well as loving what he's doing, and even Yuki smiles. There's a pic. I've included in the composite of H, T and K jamming together. Hyde's shirt's falling off but they are ROCKIN'!

Did I mention there's a blimp in the sky recording with Grand Cross on the side? I can't imagine anyone in Tokyo didn't know about this concert.

After the rousing energy of the first half they bring it down a little with four of my favorite songs. The sun has set by now and we get "The Silver Shining," with Hyde is a single spotlight. Then "Kasou." I love "Kasou" but it's a hard song to sing and sometimes live it's beauty gets lost, but not here (not on Awake either). Then back up with "Shinshoku." I've always loved the contrast between those two songs on the album and I'm glad they kept it here. They cut "Shinshoku" like the video with lots of fast cuts and shaking cameras. And then into an old song, "Caress of Venus," always a crowd pleaser and one that they seem to like to do. Hyde is in the camera for this one--leading the audience, in complete control. "Heaven's Drive" sees some go go dancers come out on stage, but don't worry ladies, they don't touch the band. "Come on, baby," yells Hyde. Ken and Hyde play dueling guitars for a moment. "Dive to Blue" is another rouser with Hyde pounding his stomach so much you think he's going to knock himself over. He dons devil's wings for "Shout at the Devil".

Then comes another quiet interlude. The band changes (or maybe it's another night) and then walks down a long, long runway, to a small stage maybe a third of the way back. During the walk we get a few backstage clips from the soundcheck which was apparently during a rainstorm. Poor Tetsu has to have a roadie wipe down his bass. The small stage is covered in sand. Yuki has a tiny electric drum set and Hyde has----BONGOS! This is their island oasis, this is "Perfect Blue". He plays bongos well and seems very into the words of the song. See the pics. in the composite.

Then it's back to the main stage for "Driver's High" and "Blurry Eyes." During the "Blurry Eyes" break Hyde pants into the camera and then "pretends" to be surprised that it's on. Tetsu asks the audience if they're GENKI.

They like to end on a soft song and so they end with "Pieces". Hyde is deeply into it and when the song ends there are FIREWORKS! Like I said, all of Tokyo must have known about this and loved L'Arc. (I know, I know, Tokyo is very large so probably not, but it certainly feels like it).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grand Cross is one of my favorite lives I have on DVD. It was an amazing concert, and Hyde definately looked great. I was also amazed at how many people were there, especially when the camera panned over the whole audience. Yikes! It must make these venues he is doing on his solo tour look super tiny, but I think that's his intention...you know, the whole intimate thing with his fans!!!

musingwoman said...

Great review, Novel! Thank you so much.

You make me wish we had the DVD, though! Also, is it region 2?

I've only seen a handful of songs from the concert on YouTube. Perfect Blue being one, which I love, especially the part where Hyde almost runs out of breath. The smile on his face is adorable.

And so agree with you about Hyde and the band being on top of the world and knowing it. From the footage we've seen Hyde especially completely owns the stage.

Unknown said...

The version I have (share with B) is a VCD so I can only watch it on my computer and I can't burn it to DVD. She can watch it on her TV. I did get a Japanese copy of Chronicle 2 and was able to decrypt it on my computer and burn that to DVD.

musingwoman said...

Where did you buy the VCD? Watching it on the computer would be better than nothing.

Anonymous said...

I have a region free DVD player I bought off YesAsia, so I can watch my region 2 L'arc & Hyde DVDs. I also can play them on my PC too, but I hate watching a DVD at my computer desk, I prefer seeing Hyde on my big screen & in stereo.
Another noteworthy part of Grand Cross, Hyde has his shirt all open & you can see his belly ring (usually I don't think that's hot for a guy, but hey it's Hyde's belly so it's schmexy!)

Unknown said...

Ebay--I have Hyde and L'Arc as favorite searches so they send me email updates. I was at work when I got that one and frantically called B who was home to go on and buy.

Anonymous said...

Wow..you're a real L'Arc & HYDE fanatic eh??

Anyway, about the stage thingy, according to a show uploaded on YouTube, the whole stage cost 5.32 billion Yen..and here I thought Gackt's Diabolos 2005 concert was a hardcore 500 million Yen ><

Besides, your reviews (and commentaries!!) are fun..LoL..