Sunday, May 21, 2006

Newtype USA interview

A huge thank you to kookalu for sharing the recent Hyde interview in the June issue of Newtype USA.

In it Hyde talks about when he became interested in gothic imagery, how he met KAS, the way they produce songs together, and why he recorded FAITH in L.A. It ends with these two questions:

Newtype USA: You're about to head back to the US for solo concerts. What are you looking forward to on this trip?

HYDE: We went to Baltimore [for L'Arc~en~Ciel's 2004 performance at Otakon], I was moved by the sense of unity I felt, like everyone was transcending boundaries of race and coming together under music. That's something I'd like to feel again with my own band. I also want to share my brand of rock with an American audience and give them a taste of how Japanese rock has progressed.
Newtype USA: Do you have a message for overseas fans?

HYDE: I've always loved American hard rock, and it makes me very happy that my album is being released in America. And then to get the chance to put on live concerts to promote that album... well, I honestly don't know what else I could wish for. I hope all of you can make it to a show.
Newtype USA // June 2006 Issue // Volume 05, Number 06

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. I really liked this interview, even though it was short, it gave me a good feeling about how Hyde feels about his American fanbase. Previous interviews from Japan didn't quite make me feel the same,( ie the interview where he said something to the effect he was playing the US for his Asian fans) but I now think it was a poor translation of what he actually said.

musingwoman said...

I felt better after reading this, too. :-)