Friday, May 05, 2006

MOON CHILD photobook Gackt/HYDE interview: Part 3

Used with permission

Gekka-no-neko made a very readable translation of the Gackt/HYDE Moon Child interview. It's in three parts. Here are a couple of the questions from Part Three:

MOON CHILD Interview: Part 3

Interviewer: Q
Gackt: G
HYDE: H

Q: Because so many unique individuals took part in this movie, the finished work has a strong sense of humanness. I feel like I can understand. This takes us back to the script, but did you have an idea of what kind of movie you intended to make from the beginning?

G: Uh...... I did have an idea for the movie, of course, but I don't want to explain it specifically. I think the people who have seen this movie will definitely embrace the thoughts and feelings of the characters. I just want them to feel some emotion for themselves, and to take home those feelings, whether it's sadness or being deeply moved. Of course, there are also things at the core that I want to convey to the viewers. But, if I said what it is, then there'd be no need to see the movie...
Q: I see. So HYDE, as an individual, how do you perceive this piece of work called "Moon Child"?

H: This movie is sort of about youth. Like a hot and fun summer vacation when we were young...... Oh no, it wasn't a summer vacation though (laughs). Although the story is completely different, in a sense it has the youth-oriented image of "The Outsiders." In the story, I am over 100 years old, so it can't be said that I was at a youthful age, but it was like everyone was gradually growing into adults with a feeling of camaraderie. The kind of fun and passion you can only have when you are very young...... It's like a story that you can just reminisce about while having a drink. When you're young, you do a lot of stupid things, but kids will completely enjoy doing things that adults can never understand. When you become an adult and remember those times, you get embarrassed and feel self-conscious, but I think there are some things you can't go on living without remembering. You don't just want to say, "Those were the good old days," you want to live an even more enjoyable life right now; everyone has done a lot of things when they were young that they wouldn't want to do now. Rather than trying to enjoy those things now, the meaning of having so much fun while doing stupid things is what remains (the strongest). This movie has many sides like that, and there were also the sides of wrongdoing and extreme sadness, but I feel those are the things that make me see it as a movie about youth.

Read the rest of Part Three here.

No comments: