Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Mercury News article

HYDE: CAN ONE OF JAPAN'S BIGGEST ROCK ACTS BREAK BIG IN THE US?
by Brad Kava

Based on its San Francisco debut at the Fillmore Thursday the Japanese band HYDE may be hard rock's answer to baseball's Ichiro Suzuki and Hideki Matsui.

That is, superstars in an American game who are considered the equals of their American peers, and whose country of origin is secondary to their abilities to entertain.

With a 90-minute set of original, dark and glistening hard rock, metal, and a couple of ballads, this tight quintet's sold out local debut was mesmerizing and primal, with more than a few similarities to David Bowie's U.S. debut decades back….read the rest of the article.


(Found via shinimegami21)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I read this article the other day & it kind of ticked me off. First off, there is no band named Hyde, the band is his back up band...he is a solo artist! Second, I really resent him being compared to Michael Jackson...ewww! Third and most importantly, it looks like they searched high & low for one of the worst pictures ever of Hyde, which was fuzzy & sadly did look a little like Michael Jackson...ewww! Hyde is a sexy, beautiful & talented man, and after seeing him live; I saw nothing feminine at all about him. Sorry to fire off, it's just that article steamed me. I know press here is good for him, but it could at least be a little more flattering. Thank God the article didn't have any negativity towards his music, which is after the most important thing.

Anonymous said...

I had pretty much the same reaction as you.

musingwoman said...

I've heard him compared to Michael Jackson before and hate that, too.

Overall, though, I thought it was positive publicity. And I was glad some of the fans they interviewed emphasized his music instead of his looks.

Julnyes said...

I don't get the Michael Jackson comparison at all. Michael Jackson is a surigically modified freak with an unnatural attraction to little boys who sings sugary meaningless pop music that hasn't been relevant in 20 years. Where is the comparison exactly?